If you’ve read anything about or studied Search Engine Optimization, you’ve come across the term “backlink” at least once. For those of you new to SEO, you may be wondering what a backlink is, and why they are important.Backlinks have become so important to the scope of Search Engine Optimization, that they have become some of the main building blocks to good SEO. In this article, we will explain to you what a backlink is, why they are important, and what you can do to help gain them while avoiding getting into trouble with the Search Engines. Enjoy reading.
In search engine optimization (SEO)terminology a backlink is a hyperlinkthat links from a Web page, back to your own Web page or Web site. Also called an InboundLink(IBL) these links are important in determining the popularity (or importance) of your Web site. Some search engines, includingGoogle will consider Web sites with more backlinks more relevant in search results pages. May also be written as two separate words, back link.
Backlinks, also known as incoming links, inbound links, in links, and inward links, are incominglinksto awebsiteorweb page. In basic link terminology, abacklink is any link received by a web node (web page, directory, website, or top level domain) from another web node.
Inbound links were originally important (before the emergence of search engines) as a primary means ofweb navigation; today, their significance lies in search engine optimization(SEO).
It is easy to get a higher ranking using backlinks than it is to influence search engines with external backlinks from other sites, which is why backlinks matter so much in a search engines algorithm. Recently search engines criteria for quality inbound backlinks has gotten harder. This is due to people using deceptive tactics like hidden links or automatically generated pages whose entire purpose is to generate inbound links to other web pages.
The number of backlinks is an indication of the popularity or importance of that website. Backlinks are important for SEO because some search engines, especially Google, will give more credit to websites that have a good number of quality backlinks, and consider those websites more relevant than others in their results pages for a search query.
There is another way to gain quality backlinks to your site, in addition to related site themes: anchortext.
When a link incorporates a keyword into the text of the hyperlink, we call this quality anchor text. A link’s anchor text may be one of the under-estimated resources a webmaster has.
The Backlink Builder Tool is another useful resource. As you know, it is not important the number of inbound links you have but the number of quality inbound links you have is important. This tool helps to find websites that are related to you that would be likely to add you as a link to their site. By inputting a keyword or a phrase this tool will find related sites for you, which makes the task of finding quality backlinks a lot easier.
Why are backlinks important?
- That’s because they can help your website more popular on search engines. When other websites refer to your website, you then become more of an “authority” on the topic you cover.
- Backlinks also serve as a recommendation of sorts, and Google takes note of that. Google is in the business of serving up the websites that their users want, and when you have other websites recommending yours then that means your website must be what users want.
- Google also monitors the number of people who come to visit your website, and backlinks offer a very convenient way for the visitors from other websites to come to yours.
- And as you get more and more visitors to your site, the more SEO “points” you earn.
- It is not enough to have a lot of number of in links, you need to have quality links. The content of the sites you have incoming links with must to be related to the content on your website.
- Inbound links today are an essential part of the Search Engine Optimisation because when you build valuable backlinks, your site gets a higher ability of being indexed by the search spiders. It will also help to boost worth traffic to your website.
- The more the inward links, the better the popularity of a site. Backlinks are very important for SEO and Ranking. Some Search Engines spider, mainly Google gives a lot of value to the number of inbound links. Spiders consider site more reliable that others on the base of number of quality in links it has.
By having quality backlinks you are attracting visitors to your site. You can’t just build a website and expect that people are going to find you without being pointed in the right direction. People previously used Reciprocal Linking to achieve this.