That safari pic from your recent travel trip received several thumbs up and comments from your friends on social media which might have got you thinking- How to Start a Travel Blog and How to make money through Travel Blogging?
Starting a Travel Blog may seem like a daunting task but if you are ready to invest your time and some hard-work along with some envious travel trip photographs, you’ll be amazed to know how rewarding and fun it can be. But that again brings us to square one- “How to Start a Travel Blog and make money?”
Grab yourself a cup of coffee (or at least I’m going to have one) and let’s build your Personal Travel Blog.
Start A Travel Blog | How To Make A Blog
1. Choose Your Travel Blog Name
Choosing the right name for your Travel Blog is not as easy as it sounds and it requires a lot of Research and Creativity for it is a big part of your brand and is worth all the time and effort. Your travel Blog name is how people will identify you and so it should be unique, crisp, easy to remember and limitless (the primary motto of a traveller). Here are some tips to select a good Travel Blog name that will resonate with your traveller essence-
- Avoid the use of any special characters like ‘The-Travelling-Bagpacker’ (Those hyphens ruin it)
- The last character of your first name and the first character of your second name should not be same like ‘Travellove.com’ (can get confusing)
- Try to keep it short. The shorter, the more memorable.
- Try using the .com extension.
- Don’t bind yourself like ‘TheSoloTravellerDiary.com’ (what if you start taking your mate along?) or ‘AroundTheIndia.com’ (what if you start travelling abroad)
- Pump up your creativity and avoid using terms like ‘Vagabond’, ‘Wanderlust’, ‘Adventure’ etc. Even the satanic gods would agree to this that these words have been used to death.
2. Choose a host for your Travel Blog
All the good things in life are for Free but the Best things– Well! you have to pay a price for that. Many newbie Bloggers start publishing their content on free Blogs but with this they lose the control over their content and they also restrict income earning abilities. I personally recommend a Self hosted Travel Blog which means you don’t have to play by anybody’s rules and you will have control on whatever you publish.
Your web host stores all the data of your Blog including the images, videos, files, content etc online. Choose a web host that is reliable and provides quality technical support.
- Buy the domain name of your travel Blog.
- Choose a good web-host.
- Buy a package plan that suits your blog requirements.
3. Integrate Domain Name with Hosting
Next step is to integrate the domain name with the web hosting you purchased so that the Blog goes live. To avoid the hassle of connecting your domain name and your web hosting, it’s easier to buy everything from one service. With viaENS you just have to submit a request for the domain registration in the Support Center and your blog with everything integrated and pre installed is delivered to you in no time.
After Integration install your preferred CMS (I highly recommend WordPress) and the essential WordPress Plugins. The must have Plugins for a Travel Blog include-
- JetPack– It can be considered as a Mega- Plugin which further is a collection of various plugins that optimizes the performance of your site.
- WordPress SEO by Yoast– It helps in On-Page SEO and helps in the ranking of your Blog.
Yoast SEO is the WordPress number 1 SEO Plugin that has been functional since 2008. It provides most advanced XML Sitemaps functionality, full control over site, Title and meta description templating for better branding, Content & SEO analysis among many others.
- Akismet– It is an anti-spam plugin that blocks spam comments. It automatically checks and filters out comments that appear spammy, shows URLs in the comment body to reveal hidden or misleading links, blocks the worst spam, saving you disk space and speeding up your site.
- Caching Plugin i.e. WP Super Cache, W3 Total Cache, Lazy Load, etc.It improves search engine result page rankings, optimizes overall site performance, optimizes page rendering, reduces page load time, improves web server performance, sustains high traffic periods and provides upto 80% bandwidth savings.
- WordFence Security– It is one of the most popular WordPress Firewall and Security Scanner. It identifies and blocks malicious traffic, blocks all requests from the most malicious IPs, enables deep integration with WordPress without breaking encryption, blocks requests that include malicious code or content, checks your site for known security vulnerabilities and alerts you to any issues.
4. Choose the Best WordPress Theme for Travel Blog
Owing to the research you’ve done for your travel Blog, you might have created a basic map of how your Blog will look like. There are thousands of themes to choose from- Free and Paid, choosing one can be a daunting task. Invest your time and choose the most suitable theme for your Travel Blog for Presentation matters. If you Plan to stay on a theme for long then I would suggest you to go for a Premium theme as upgrading to a new theme can be time consuming and involves a lot of hard work especially if your Blog is loaded with lot of content.
Best WordPress Themes for Travel Blog
Why ‘Fall’ WordPress Theme for Travel Blog- Fall is a clean WordPress blog theme which is perfect for Blog that has a lot of content. Fall layout keeps content at focus due to the crisp text style and a layout that is free from distracting elements.
Fall theme is easy to customize with unlimited colors, layout choices, simple design, text fonts, custom logo upload, and Google Analytics integration.
Why ‘Explorer’ WordPress Theme for Travel Blog- Explorer theme is a highly customizable Blog theme that is highly suitable for a Travel Blog. It is easy to use and has a sticky navigation menu on top, includes multiple layouts, support for all top page builders, WPML and translation ready, WooCommerce support and more.
Why ‘The Traveler’ WordPress Theme for Travel Blog- With a traditional magazine style layout and grid style post display, ‘The Traveler’ is a highly customizable theme for a Travel Blog. Live Customizer makes its customization quite easy and it further includes full screen background image, full width page template, Instagram feed, custom widgets, social icons, and more.
Why ‘Indigo’ WordPress Theme for Travel Blog- With a magazine homepage and a traditional blog layout, ‘Indigo’ is a good to go theme for a travel Blog. It is a multipurpose WordPress theme that includes includes a sticky navigation menu on top, followed by website logo, primary navigation, and then a slider. You can easily customize this theme with a live customizer support and add unique custom widgets for social icons & popular posts etc.
Why ‘NoteBlog’ WordPress Theme for Travel Blog- The simple yet appealing ‘NoteBlog’ WordPress theme has minimal customization options and is easy to use. It displays a full width featured image followed by your recent posts in grid layout and is a highly recognized theme for travel and sports Blog.
That’s it! You’ve set up your basic website. After Installation of the theme, you are all set with your Travel Blog. Start spilling your Experiences on the Travel Blog and try posting original images along. Make a small slide-show of the images or share your travel videos.
Travel Blog Post Ideas for your Travel Blog
Following are some topic suggestions for all those looking forward to be Travel Bloggers. All of us have been there- when ideas cease to flow, when creativity comes to a halt, something which writers refer to as Writers Block.
Here are some Travel Blog Posts Topics to help your creative juices flow-
- Listings of a particular Travel Destination- Top 50 best Locations to travel with a budget of Rs.5k
- Photographed Memories of a Travel Trip- Around the city in 10 photos
- Travel Guides- The Ultimate Guide to consider when travelling to India.
- Travel Tips & Tricks- How to pack bags when going on a solo trip?
- Itinerary Ideas for a Travel Trip- Dream Itinerary to get the most of your 7 Day trip to Paris
- Cultural insights of a Travel Destination- 10 Festivals of Spain you should be a part of.
- Famous Food Recipes related to a particular area- Top 10 Foods you must try if you visit India
- Facts related to a particular Place- 25 Facts about Ladakh we bet you didn’t know
- Review about a place/ restaurant/ service
- Interview Travel Influencers
- Podcasts with a Travel Blogger
Top 10 Travel Bloggers to Follow on Instagram in 2018
1. Alex Strohl
*Giveaway Closed* Reading these stories honestly brought tears to my eyes. What love we have for our moms! So many girl power vibes right now. Thanks to every single person who entered for sharing your heartfelt stories and pure love for the women in your lives. I’m blown away. CONGRATS to @lo.leman on winning the bike!💕 . Looking back at all of my favorite memories with her💕Happy Mom’s Day to my travel partner, boobie buddy and BFF. *Giveaway Time* Follow @SusanGKomen, @KentBicycles and @lesleyannemurphy & tell us why your mom is so special to you for a chance to win a pretty pink bike🚲💓
4. Alvaro Rojas
DO YOU THINK PEOPLE CAN CHANGE? ____________________________________ It’s one of the biggest questions I pose myself on my travels. ____________________________________ I used to believe people at a certain age had their personality and they were not able to change it. Now, Im certain new life experiences, goals, purposes, and ultimately being out of your comfort zone exposed to changes, can definitely be a catalyst for changing people’s mindsets, views and even personalities! Do you agree?
5. Tommy Clarke
6. Meg Jerrard
Nature’s pretty neat, eh? 🍁 •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• So excited to #ExploreAlberta with @GoPro this week! This morning, we woke up before 4 am to venture to the insanely beautiful Moraine Lake in Banff National Park for sunrise. For obvious reasons, we stayed for 4 hours. (PS the water is this turquoise in real life!!! It’s like a fairytale!) •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• Shot on the @GoPro HERO6 by my adventure buddy @glographics | Edited with @TBApresets | HELPFUL TIP: The HERO6 has built-in voice control so you can shoot hands-free. Just say “GoPro take a photo” and snap! It’s a solo traveler’s BFF! | @travelalberta #GoPro #GoProCreatorSummit #Canada #MoraineLake #BanffNationalPark
When one of your favorite clothing websites wants to dress you up during your trip – of course you say, “yes!” ✈️🙈 ❀ ✿ ❀ ✿ For the next 24 hours you can get 20% off your @nakdfashion purchase using my code ELONAK20 😊 everything ships worldwide! For the record, I have these pants in multiple colors so you will see them again 😂
Start a Travel Blog | Travel Blogging for Beginners Infographics
Ways to Monetize Your Travel Blog | How to Earn from Travel Blogging?
You can use various methods of monetization to convert your Travel Blog into a profitable one. Affiliate Marketing is one of the most popular way through which bloggers generate an income. The basic idea behind Affiliate Marketing is simple- you earn a commission when somebody buys a product/ service promoted on your Website. INRDeals, is a preferred affiliate network by most Bloggers through which they automatically get access to over 200 merchants which include MakeMyTrip, Yatra & many more and get maximum returns on the sales generated.
Another great way to make money from a travel blog is by offering advertising space to advertisers. Companies search for Bloggers whose Blog generates handsome traffic, for deeper penetration of their Brand and they are ready to offer money or even freebies to travel bloggers to blog about their products. This allows the blogger to test products and then write about it. As a travel Blogger you might get Sponsored trips. Sounds like a dream? Well with a bit of hard work and dedication you can turn your dream into reality.