That safari pic from your recent travel trip received several thumbs up and comments from your friends on social media which might have got you thinking- How to Start a Travel Blog and How to make money through Travel Blogging?
Starting a Travel Blog may seem like a daunting task but if you are ready to invest your time and some hard-work along with some envious travel trip photographs, you’ll be amazed to know how rewarding and fun it can be. But that again brings us to square one- “How to Start a Travel Blog and make money?”
Grab yourself a cup of coffee (or at least I’m going to have one) and let’s build your Personal Travel Blog.
Start A Travel Blog | How To Make A Blog
1. Choose Your Travel Blog Name
Choosing the right name for your Travel Blog is not as easy as it sounds and it requires a lot of Research and Creativity for it is a big part of your brand and is worth all the time and effort. Your travel Blog name is how people will identify you and so it should be unique, crisp, easy to remember and limitless (the primary motto of a traveller). Here are some tips to select a good Travel Blog name that will resonate with your traveller essence-
- Avoid the use of any special characters like ‘The-Travelling-Bagpacker’ (Those hyphens ruin it)
- The last character of your first name and the first character of your second name should not be same like ‘Travellove.com’ (can get confusing)
- Try to keep it short. The shorter, the more memorable.
- Try using the .com extension.
- Don’t bind yourself like ‘TheSoloTravellerDiary.com’ (what if you start taking your mate along?) or ‘AroundTheIndia.com’ (what if you start travelling abroad)
- Pump up your creativity and avoid using terms like ‘Vagabond’, ‘Wanderlust’, ‘Adventure’ etc. Even the satanic gods would agree to this that these words have been used to death.
2. Choose a host for your Travel Blog
All the good things in life are for Free but the Best things– Well! you have to pay a price for that. Many newbie Bloggers start publishing their content on free Blogs but with this they lose the control over their content and they also restrict income earning abilities. I personally recommend a Self hosted Travel Blog which means you don’t have to play by anybody’s rules and you will have control on whatever you publish.
Your web host stores all the data of your Blog including the images, videos, files, content etc online. Choose a web host that is reliable and provides quality technical support.
- Buy the domain name of your travel Blog.
- Choose a good web-host.
- Buy a package plan that suits your blog requirements.
3. Integrate Domain Name with Hosting
Next step is to integrate the domain name with the web hosting you purchased so that the Blog goes live. To avoid the hassle of connecting your domain name and your web hosting, it’s easier to buy everything from one service. With viaENS you just have to submit a request for the domain registration in the Support Center and your blog with everything integrated and pre installed is delivered to you in no time.
After Integration install your preferred CMS (I highly recommend WordPress) and the essential WordPress Plugins. The must have Plugins include-
- JetPack– It can be considered as a Mega- Plugin which further is a collection of various plugins that optimizes the performance of your site.
- WordPress SEO by Yoast– It helps in On-Page SEO and helps in the ranking of your Blog.
- Akismet– It is an anti-spam plugin that blocks spam comments.
- Caching Plugin i.e. WP Super Cache, W3 Total Cache, Lazy Load, etc. It reduces excessive load times and improves your site’s speed.
4. Choose the Best WordPress Theme for Travel Blog
Owing to the research you’ve done for your travel Blog, you might have created a basic map of how your Blog will look like. There are thousands of themes to choose from- Free and Paid, choosing one can be a daunting task. Invest your time and choose the most suitable theme for your Travel Blog for Presentation matters. If you Plan to stay on a theme for long then I would suggest you to go for a Premium theme as upgrading to a new theme can be time consuming and involves a lot of hard work especially if your Blog is loaded with lot of content.
That’s it! You’ve set up your basic website. After Installation of the theme, you are all set with your Travel Blog. Start spilling your Experiences on the Travel Blog and try posting original images along. Make a small slide-show of the images or share your travel videos.
Ways to Monetize Your Fashion Blog | How to Earn from Fashion Blogging?
You can use various methods of monetization to convert your Travel Blog into a profitable one. Affiliate Marketing is one of the most popular way through which bloggers generate an income. The basic idea behind Affiliate Marketing is simple- you earn a commission when somebody buys a product/ service promoted on your Website. INRDeals, is a preferred affiliate network by most Bloggers through which they automatically get access to over 200 merchants which include MakeMyTrip, Yatra & many more and get maximum returns on the sales generated.
Another great way to make money from a travel blog is by offering advertising space to advertisers. Companies search for Bloggers whose Blog generates handsome traffic, for deeper penetration of their Brand and they are ready to offer money or even freebies to travel bloggers to blog about their products. This allows the blogger to test products and then write about it. As a travel Blogger you might get Sponsored trips. Sounds like a dream? Well with a bit of hard work and dedication you can turn your dream into reality.